Tuesday, May 16, 2006

WHAT!?

Someone made a MOVIE about my crappy little hometown?????? And not just *someone*, it's a guy I went to school with! And it's at the Sundance Festival! Wow! Wowowowowowow!!! It's called: Clearcut: The Story of Philomath, OR. Here's the synopsis and the website:

In the rural Oregon logging town of Philomath, every high school graduate has their college tuition paid thanks to the generosity of local lumber baron Rex Clemens. But when a new schools Superintendent arrives from Chicago, the administrators of the scholarship become concerned over the increasingly "liberal" direction of the schools. The conflict between the old-time loggers and the "urban immigrants" escalates dramatically, and the scholarship administrators deliver an ultimatum: either the superintendent leaves, or the scholarship is withdrawn, leaving the town's children without money for college

My prediction is that there are some real bastards in this movie. Actually, I KNOW there are some real bastards in this movie. The only real campaigning I've ever done was against a ballot measure sponsored by the Lowthers, the current maintainers of the scholarship and the cause of all the turmoil. We won by 70%. Haha!

Anyway, if this movie comes out your way, make sure you go and see it. It's getting rave reviews by the film-y people! ...at least watch the trailer on the website, ok?

10 comments:

Sara said...

Personally, I think Steve Lowther (the man talking at the end) did a pretty fine job of playing Hitler himself these past years. That quote did make me laugh though. What a loon.

I don't believe that I, personally, am in it, although I hear that some of my activities are mentioned - original member of the Gay/Straight Alliance, purple hair, railing against the ugly mockery of a Native American carving that stands in the doorway of the school - and my sister did everything that they think is wrong and evil. Apparently we're Nazis! I didn't know that!

Tonight I get to go see it at the theater! I'm so excited!

Diane S. said...

Midland, Texas aka: one-of-the-many-towns-in-Texas-in-which-I've-lived, also has a program funded by an oil baron by which everyone who graduates from highschool in Midland can attend the local junior college. Midland college is a fairy good college by junior college standards, and offers all sorts of classes in medical stuff where you can spend two years and make a better living than many a Ph.D.

Luckily, this baron had no political agenda, but then again, it's Midland, did he need one?

(Midland is home to George G. Bush and they just love Georgie Boy there...)

Diane S. said...

(Comes back after reading the trailer)

I don't think any good argument ever included the words "nip it in the bud".

Also, there used to a _____ principle on Usenet (in the old days). I wish I could remember what went in the blank. Basically the principle was that, if in order to win your argument, you had to drag Adolph Hitler or the Nazis or the Holocaust into your argument (excepting arguments about Adolph Hitler, Nazis, or the Holocaust) then you ipso facto lost your argument, because you had resorted to hyperbole and sought knee jerk reactions instead of reasoned arguments. Anyone old enough to remember the name of this principle is implored to email me (anunfounddoor@stx.rr.com) and remind me the name of this principle. It was one of the things I liked about the consensus collectivity that was Usenet.

- Diane S.
who is obviosly getting very old.

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia is our friend!

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Amy said...

AH, cool..... very.

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Thank you for the heads up on the "your hometown" film... :>) Peace.

Diane S. said...

Godwin's Law! Thank you!

Happy! Happy! Happy! The things I remember are real!

And yes, Wickipedia is our friend.

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Good morning....

Sara said...

Good morning, yourself, Poetryman! I keep meaning to add you to my link section, but I'm forgetful. Boo on me.

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

No problems, my friend. You just kick some ass in your studies and we're square! :>)